Monday, November 26, 2007

Is Freemasonry a Universal Truth?

Is Freemasonry a Universal Truth?

When it comes to public opinion I find Freemasonry is one of those subjects like fox hunting, the smoking ban or that state of England football team. Most people seem to have an opinion of it, and most people have varying degrees of informed thought on the matter.

Indeed the only Universal Truth is, there is no Universal Truth. Views are strongly polarised between anti-masonic paranoia and well, people like me trying to persuade people like you that Freemasonry is a force for good in society.

Having accepted that there is no such thing as a Universal Truth, I have to accept that some people are going to disagree. The question then is, how many?

2 comments:

Greg Stewart said...

I think that is the forest for the trees. Is there a Universal truth? Sure, its that there is a universal truth. One of the problems with the Masonic system is that it is a mystery school tradition, but as such, it is not an institution, and was never conceived as such. The universality existed in the practice, not in the dogma (hence Pike's stab at it).

Indeed, everyone has an opinion, the problem is that everyone wants their opinion to be right, creating the confusion.

Johnners said...

Interesting.

I conceive it as a 'process', rather than a 'product' A journey where we never arrive. I think you are saying the same thing.

My comment was more concerned with the external environment to Freemasonry - how do we convince the world of a universal truth? I think my retorical question is, we can't!