Sunday, December 2, 2007

Animal Farm and Freemasonry

Animal Farm is one of the great political allegories. One of the most memorable lines from it is 'All animals are created equal, but some more equal than others'. As a new Mason a provincial officer once said this to me. I don't this rank-conscious brother quite realised the irony.

One of the values that Freemasonry espouses is that all brethren are equal, however when it comes to Provincial rank, there are (last time I counter) twenty one or twenty two of them. The theory in use for Freemasonry seems to be, that some are more equal than others.

Personally I find it difficult to square the paradox of egalitarianism with the obsequious deference shown to seniority - both in terms rank and length of service.

1 comment:

Trevor Twining said...

A thought-provking post to be sure. I posted a counterpoint at http://squarelevelplumb.blogspot.com and I hope you enjoy the discussion there as well.

In general I enjoy the topics you're choosing. Keep up the good work.