Saturday, May 16, 2009

Freemasonry Tomorrow Lecture at Unanimity No. 154

On Bank Holiday Monday I gave my talk on "Freemasonry Tomorrow" at Unanimity Lodge No. 154 in Wakefield. The talk evokes different reactions from different people and seems to have the intended purpose of provoking (in the nicest possible way) debate and reflection.

The acting Junior Warden said I had said very little about tradition. He went on to extol the virtues of tradition in their Lodge. That is to say their 200 year-old dining table and associated candleabres. These are historical artefacts rather than tradition. Tradition, as I understand it, is a process or behaviour. Shils, for example, talks about how it needs to be communicated 3 times for it to become a tradition in the strictest sense.

Another Brother challenged my figures on the decline of population of Masons. This is similar to the discussions I have with Bro. Lomas. Part of the problem is recognising there is a problem as the organisation, for the large part, is in denial. Agreeing on the extent of the problem goes towards 'paralysis by analysis.' The figures in the talk are intended to be scenarios. The same Brother also challenged my use of the words 'middle class'. This was an interesting point as these words are a disputed, and sometimes controversial label.

W. Bro John Goodchild commented that the talk had evinced an exploration of why he remained a Freemason. I well remember his lecture on friendly socities given years ago at Holme Valley Lodge. What was particularly poignant was how the Druids had disappeared as an organisation.

On the whole I found it a worthwhile exchange. The Brethren of Unanimity Lodge were excellent hosts. This proved a very agreeable conclusion to the Bank Holiday weekend.

No comments: